Class of 2018 SUMMER CHECKLIST
for our rising seniors
Dear Saint Peter’s Prep Rising Seniors,
As you work on your college search and upcoming application process, there are some important tasks you can accomplish during the summer. The work you do on your college process will make the fall much more manageable. The College Counseling team (and students who have gone through the process!) recommends that you complete some tasks prior to the beginning of senior year.
Specifically, you should:
- Research information about colleges on your list from several sources
- Visit colleges. Here are some great links to college tours do's and don'ts:
- Update your resume on Naviance
- Create a Common Application account (available after August 1st.) and review it along with applications from non-Common App schools and begin to fill them out. (Don’t submit an application prior to the start of the school year)
- Write a rough draft for a college essay. Here is the link for the 2017/18 Common App essay prompts: http://www.commonapp.org/whats-appening/application-updates/common-application-announces-2017-2018-essay-prompts
- Continue to prepare for SAT’s/ACT’s and Subject Tests (if applicable). Check the dates for tests and registration deadlines. You can register over the summer for the tests held in August, September and October. Go to http://www.collegeboard.com to register for the SAT and http://www.actstudent.org/index.html for the ACT
- If you are planning to apply Early Decision and/or Early Action, make an appointment to meet with your Counselor as soon as you return to school in September. Be aware of all deadlines.
- Register with NCAA, if applicable. Here is the website: http://web3.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA.jsp
- Own this responsibility and this experience.
- Be positive, proactive and empowered!
You can do this, and we are here to help!