Class of 2017, many of you will be getting your decisions in the upcoming weeks if you haven’t already. Congratulations on acceptances thus far! Please continue to keep your counselor updated.
DO NOW: Call, email or check your application status online of all the schools to which you are applying. Please let your counselor know if there are pieces missing. 1st quarter grades or 1st semester grades: Please see your counselor.
- Remember that if you receive a deferral, your midyear grades will be sent to the college that has offered the deferral option. It's a great opportunity to remind them why you'd be a great candidate.
- If you were denied admission, remember you can always consider reapplying after spending a year at another institution.
- Update Naviance status of applications.
A reminder about your competition:
- Personal statements make a difference. As we have said, this is your chance to let your characeter come to the forefront. This is the time to communicate your personality and special characteristics that makes you uniquely you. Many of you were able to do a great job at this; others decided that it was not important. It matters, so be authentic! Average statistics can come alive with a well written personal statement.
- For the most part, admission committees feel just as overwhelmed as you. They have the pressure of sometimes denying students they LOVE, who they think will be great students.
The moral of the story…
Maintain your focus! You only have a few weeks left of classes before the end of the first semester.
Maintain perspective. If you were not admitted to a school of your choice, remember you have other options that you love.What's next?
FAFSA: request your FAFSA ID immediately at fafsa.ed.gov. Always complete even it you believe your family does not qualify.
Scholarship monies are going unclaimed. Check the Scholarship page in Naviance as it is maintained and updated regularly. If you have questions, please see your counselor or Ms. Morissette who monitors the scholarships sent to us. For those of you applying for regular decision deadlines, most colleges will notify you in April.
Schools who review applications on a ROLLING basis tend to notify 2-8 weeks after your application is completed.
Regardless of when you receive a decision from the college, you do NOT have to make a final decision until MAY 1, 2016.
Your College Counseling Team